Thursday, September 20, 2007

My Husband's Folly

I'm getting ready for church and my husband comes into the bathroom (where I am putting on my make up). He is almost all ready to go himself and he turns to watch me for a minute (I know this because I can see him in the mirror). Finally, he says "What's wrong with your eye?" Me, being a woman, says in a shrilly voice, "What do you mean?" He pauses for a moment then says, "You've got this Spok eye thing going on." As you know women never panick when their husbands say they have Spok eyes so as calmly as possible I turn to look into the mirror. Seeing nothing unusual I question again, "What do you mean?" A visible fear begins to come across his face as he begins to realizes he made a major tabu in husband world. He mumbles something unintelligable as he tries to back out of the bathroom door. He tries to distract me by saying, "Uh...we're going to be late." I being completely calm, after all I do have Spok eyes, say "I am NOT going anywhere tell you tell me what is wrong with my eyes." He visibly starts to shake and wipes his brow--now he definitely knows he's in deep trouble. He tries desprately to make it better by saying, "I think it was the mirror and my angle at seeing you." The immediate thought that came to my mind was : 'Oh, please!!' But being completely calm and reasonable I say, "What is wrong with my eyes?" For once in his life he is relieved to be saved by a last minute dirty diaper. I force myself to forget, for the moment, about the Spok eye comment and attend church. Later that afternoon, my husband thinking he is out of trouble, begins some innocent conversation about Star Trek. I immediately say, "What did you mean about Spok eyes?" I would have continued the conversation except the look of complete fear that crossed his face was so funny that I laughed. Hey husbands rule number one should be do not tell your wife that something is wrong with her face, clothes, or body 5 minutes before you should be leaving to go somewhere--you will be late.

No comments: